Monday, September 21, 2015

It's harder to make a comeback than you think!

Remember when Thorpie made a sort of comeback at some swim meet, maybe it was the Olympics or something, and he kind of crashed and burned? No? Well I'm pretty sure that happened at some stage.  Well I am writing this blog post just so I can show up the Thorpedo for the loser that he is (kidding, he is totally not a loser he is a Great Guy with Excellent Clothes and is a fabulous role model for homosexual youngsters and hetero youngsters too for that matter).

Anyway, I never said I would be writing REGULARLY or anything! Maybe I will just do 4 blog posts a year; one every school holidays.

I've survived one full school term of full time employ and am now enjoying some quality rancho relaxo time (when I say rancho relaxo I actually mean cleaning my disgusting house, yelling at the smalls and marking).

I've been spending a lot of time recently having these feelings, and they are a bit contradictory and NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT;

1.  I have been feeling disappointed with my life.  I know it is NOT politically correct to say this as I am white, middle class, healthy, employed (mostly), have healthy kids, no dead parents etc. but still.  I am. I really thought I would have more money by 35. I rang a financial planner today and frankly reading between the lines (or listening in between the awkward pauses) I think she was a bit shocked by our situ.  I suppose at least we aren't treading too heavily on the earth.  Apart from how we are always doing dumb things like laying down cold hard cash for ridiculous things, like the $15 I spent on a fancy tub of M's favourite ice-cream today. I know I AM SO STUPID!!!!!!  Also, anyone on my Facebook who is reading this and thinking "there she goes again all whiney and hating on herself why won't she be more zen" just shut up.

2.  Sad and worried about the refugee situation in Europe/Syria.  I have started the slow process of trying to become more of an ACTIVIST instead of just sharing stupid articles on Facebook which is about as far as I usually go which is shameful and disgusting.  I've put our names down to host a Syrian family when they get here which has elicited unkind comments from my husband and father that when the family sees the gross bathroom we have they will be ringing the Department of Immigration and demanding to be taken to Nauru stat (SEE I TOLD YOU IT WASN'T POLITICALLY CORRECT).

Who else here feels a bit disappointed with their financial management skills? Anyone feeling let down by their life and yet simultaneously grateful for it because NOT IN SYRIA?  I am a complex creature.

7 comments:

  1. So I guess if I say but you are lucky then it would fall on deaf ears?

    Yes as they say sometimes all you need is a billion dollars. But seriously, when my dad was 35 he was only just starting out and lived in a rented house. It ain't over.

    The whole thing happening in Europe is just so complicated and I wish it were only about refugees. But unfortunately it's not - it's about soo many more things that is so huge that really all you can do is share stuff on FB.

    Hang in there! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so now I feel a bit mean for the bitchin' and the moanin' - I forgot to factor in the yelling and cleaning stuff ... I'm a bit disappointed that I'm spending money expanding my jelly mould collection especially when Miss Mac made a strawberry jelly bunny with one and it looked more like a placenta (and half of it is still wibbling on a plate in the fridge 10 days later!). My bathroom was made even more disgusting by the addition of a HUGE spider in the bath that I had to pour boiling water over to kill it (I usually save them but this WAS the same day that I nearly accidently ATE one) and instead of slipping down the plughole like any self respecting dead thing it sat there all dead blocking the drain until I got SD to pick it out ... Anyway, the point is ... something ... not quite sure what ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to hear from you again..I'm in the same frame of mind as you. It's been a difficult couple of years. My son is also caught up in this ennui, he has to do 210 intern/work hours to finish his degree which he wont make an effort toward looking for. Forgot to say he has to find the position himself. He has Aspergers which can make life difficult, his as well as mine

    Interesting this idea of hosting a Syrian family, Im all for it, but can't help thinking such a scheme should be set up for our homeless. (I know ..if you feel that way do it yourself )

    Of course compared to others we are well off, but I do think its is increasingly difficult for many Australians. BTW any financial planner who expresses shock is not very professional, not that i would dare go near one..tho of course I should..well no doubt you get the drift.

    Please keep posting! yours is such a refreshing voice out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Middle class white person guilt messes with my head a lot. I know full well that my problems are first world problems, but they ARE still problems on the day that I have to deal with them. More zen required I guess. Anyhoo, good on you for offering to host a family. That's amazing and generous. I've been looking at an awesome volunteer English tutoring for refugees program for about a year and have yet to commit. I must though, because - sad and worried indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am pretty good at managing money. But then a kid working at Maccas earns more than me, so not much to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Dear Glory. I like you A LOT. Don't worry - I have a 'please explain' appointment with the financial lady - we kinda sorted our mess out...and then we made a bigger mess. Do you have a spare mould infested room we can move into?? We may need to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your ice cream and your jelly mould collection. Even when finances are strained, it's important to have a few frivolous things that add a bit of pleasure to the routine drudgery. It's too hard otherwise. I am 60 now, and I am glad that we spent some money in my thirties and forties on experiences (travel, music etc - Disneyland!) rather than on bathroom renovations and newer cars. You get used to the "things", no matter how expensive they are, but you always remember the experiences and the little frivolities. Be kind to yourself and, by all means, help others less fortunate. That will improve your mood as well, as helping others is a guaranteed way to make you happy.

    ReplyDelete

Vent your spleen! You know you want to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...