Monday, April 29, 2013

I love the night life. I got to boogie.



So I went out on the town on Saturday night. Talk about out of character! We stayed in Brisbane at my cousin’s place. We were all meant to head out to a party at our friends K and P’s house, but the various husbands (including M) all opted for the safe option instead. As in, they stayed home and had a civilised evening of chatting and red wine drinking and went to bed early. This meant the ladies were footloose and fancy free.

 My cousin B, despite being a mother of two, has maintained a far greater commitment to getting out and about during the night time hours than I ever could, and was actually backing up from a series of late nights in Melbourne. Impressive to say the least. As you can imagine, I was not backing up from anything like this at all. Because I generally opt for an evening of Gardening Australia and folding washing. Usually the concept of having to wake up at 5am to two small children is enough to prevent me from getting my booze on, but I threw caution to the wind and decided to PARTY LIKE IT WAS 1999! Eat your heart out Prince/Love Symbol.

 So before the party, B and my honorary cousin KLF dragged me out to the Valley to see a friend’s band. It was at The Zoo. For non Brisbane types, this is a small grungy GIG VENUE. I had a bit of a freak out about what to wear. I mean The Zoo was a regular HANG OUT for me in my YOUTH but TIMES HAVE CHANGED PEOPLE! I opted for a long sucky in black dress with floaty voluminous metalicus esque layers and tan wedges. You know, quite nice, I guess, but STILL a bit on the MATRONLY side.

When we got there the bouncer was checking ID. We all got the GIGGLES and I said to him “Do I really have to show you I AM LIKE ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD!” He smirked and answered “Not QUITE one hundred.” I wasn’t sure whether this was a compliment or a veiled insult but I chose to view it in a positive light, such was my commitment to HAVING A GOOD NIGHT!

We clip clopped upstairs with all the YOUTH and had a confusing exchange with the barman about buying drinks;

Me [shouting over the music]: Can we get a bottle of white wine and three glasses please? 
Barman: Oh I’m sorry we don’t sell it by the bottle. 
Me [shouting]: Oh OK then. Um…just three glasses then. 
B [shouting]: What about a bottle? Can we get a bottle to share? 
Me [shouting]: No they don’t sell it by the bottle. 
KLF [shouting]: How about a bottle to share? 
Barman: We don’t SELL it by the bottle, we’ve had a few PROBLEMS in the PAST! 
B [shouting]: OH! OK what about a bottle of bubbles then, to share? 
Barman [rolling eyes]: UGH we don’t SELL ANYTHING BY THE BOTTLE

 Anyway once we settled down with our glasses I scanned the crowd. There were a lot of very polite HIPSTER types around causing me to feel dead set uncool. I was tempted to shout out “Hey you kids guess what?! I AM WEARING A BEIGE MATERNITY BRA, how hipster is THAT!?” or “Back in my day we didn’t consider it a good concert unless we got BLIND, lost our friends in the crowd in the first 30 seconds and then finish the evening soaked in beer and other people’s sweat !”

But I didn’t, which is probably just as well really, what with my matronly appearance and all.

We headed by cab to the party after the band had finished, and I would say for myself that I cut some interesting moves on the dancefloor whilst shout-singing along to a variety of happening tunes. Cathartic. It left me wondering why people don’t have house parties so much any more? How crazy are we? They are SO FUN OMG! And then I realised it’s because we all have children who would wake up and cry and RUIN EVERYTHING WAAAH! The little killjoys.

We stayed out til the wee small hours. Props, big ups and respect to our spouses because they removed the children from the house in the morning so we could sleep in.

All in all an excellent evening. I give it 9/10. And I never give full marks. Thank you everyone who was involved.

photo 3.JPG
The blurrier the photo, the better the night!

25 comments:

  1. I can really picture you shouting for that wine bottle. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned the hard way in The Valley that it is cheaper to buy two vodka and redbulls than one on it's own. So looking forward to September, you best be making an appearance woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I will most certainly make an appearance! I'll be pressing my face up against the glass outside the conference room, Miranda style.

      Delete
  3. God, the last house party I went to ... Well, you SAW the photos ;) - Sounds like a great night and I promise, as the kids get older the opportunities to let loose increase AND they coincide with your second teenagerhood (well, mine has anyway!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yes I think it works inversely...the older the kids the younger you feel!

      Delete
  4. I agree with the comment above mine. I now go out on a pretty regular basis but I remember when mine were smaller feeling like EVERYONE in the world was going out while I was being boring and milk-sodden at home. Glad you had such a great night - and I am positive you did not look even slightly matronly (even though I am always secretly afraid that I am matronly too)xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am deadset matronly...broad hips and pigeon chest will do that. I don't really mind staying home but by Jove it does a girl good to let loose once in a while, what?

      Delete
    2. Exactly - shakes the cobwebs out of your soul :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great night! I always feel matronly too, despite my best efforts. Lucky I don't get out that much!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame my child bearing hips and big knockers. Hipster they are not...

      Delete
  6. It's always good to escape from the kidlets for a while. I managed a day pass from the bogan loony bin a few months ago. I should really do that again.

    Glad you had fun. And you matronly? NEVER. You are a hip fashionista.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ness you are too kind. I am not hip. OMG. So not. But it really was the best night!

      Delete
  7. And shout out to DJ BB for getting the dance floor pumping - Spice Girls, Toto, Michael Jackson, OutKast and i'm sure many other ones that i now have no memory of. And to The Thinker for the best boy booty shake i've seen in a long time!
    Definitely have to do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo KLF! Best night. DJ BB and The Thinker and of course the hyena!!! Hilarious!

      Delete
  8. Ha ha...the little killjoys...too true!
    I bet the hipsters were all wearing skinny jeans...you should have told them that you have a closet full of jeggings at home and are a fashion expert when it comes to skinny jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally should have worn jeggings but it was so hot! And with my matronly figure comes a propensity to get hot under the collar. And not in a saucy way. Hey C I'm sorry I haven't commented for a bit but Disqus has been going weird on my phone...xx

      Delete
  9. Oh you are so cool! I used to love The Zoo back in the day. We were probably the reason why they no longer sell drinks by the bottle. I was a hipster BEFORE it was hip ;) At least you retained some dignity. My last trip to the Valley ended in my dropping my phone off the bridge and falling asleep on the train home. Not so cool these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should have a night out in the Valley for Bloggers Lara!!!??? Your night sounded rather exciting hahahaha!

      Delete
  10. Yeah, we've had some problems in the past, like not being able to rip people off quite as much as we would like...Oh, I'm such a cynic :D

    On that, never understood the signs that say they will refuse to serve intoxicated patrons. The very definition of alcohol is that it gets you intoxicated. So by those rules, everyone gets to have one drink, because if you're on your second, you're already intoxicated. Also, I don't drink to stay sober. In fact, rarely do I drink at all, but it would be rather a waste of money to drink and NOT get intoxicated! If they mean rowdy trouble makers say rowdy trouble makers, cos every single customer in the place is intoxicated. And no, if they mean "obviously" intoxicated then say that too. "Words" mean "things". As you may have gathered, this irks me :)

    Sounds like a fun night, glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right A!!! Yes it was a good night! We must make sure we have a similarly good night when everyone is here for Pro Blogger!

      Delete
  11. My last foray into an inner city bar saw me arguing with a barman dressed as a banana in pyjamas about change. Sounds like the set up for a joke, right? Sounds like a beaut night. You have me nostalgic for being covered in beer and other people's sweat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What to goodness Amanda!?!? Banana in pjs? The mind boggles! Ah yes, the good old sweaty beery days. How I long for them...

      Delete
  12. what we need is a stunt house.

    A house where we can have our house parties without any bastard ruining the lounge that we spent a year saving for, and our damn kids getting up in our grill and be all 'what are you drinking mummy?' and 'why are your undies on that mans head?'

    I think I am on to something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelley this is deadset genius. Genius i tell you!!!

      Delete

Vent your spleen! You know you want to.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...